Exclusion steps operate as a "did not do" filter for funnels. This provides the ability to create a funnel where, for example, you look for users that did event A, then event B, did not do event C, but then did continue to do D.
For example, say you are an ecommerce company who wants to check if users who did not check their spending are more likely to buy a product. To answer this question, you could create a funnel with three steps:
Event 1: Log in
Event 2: Browse product
Event 3: Buy product
You can exclude users who did the event “viewed spending report” during the entire shopping process by adding an exclusion step between Events 1 and 3.
Further example use cases:
- Evaluate whether a certain step done alone is beneficial to your flow.
- Ensure that a conversion was NOT the result of another detour step being taken in between two key steps.
- An exclusion step must be placed between the first step and last step.
- There may be any number of exclusion events between two steps.
- Exclusion steps account for simultaneous events by accounting for events happening within two seconds of each other as having happened at the same time.
Adding Exclusion Steps
To add an exclusion step, click on the "Add exclusion step" button at the bottom of the funnel creator.
Fill in details and filters as you would an ordinary funnel step. Exclusion steps can also use multiple filters, and you can have multiple exclusion steps.
Then, select where you would like this exclusion step to fall in the funnel. In this case, the exclusion step will appear between step 1 and step 2.