This integration supports two types of exports: one-time export and dynamic sync.
In a one-time export, Mixpanel sends Braze a static export of users who currently qualify for the cohort. The cohort data will not be updated in Braze after a one-time export.
In a dynamic sync, Mixpanel initiates a sync between a cohort and Braze every two hours. The exported cohort will be updated every two hours to reflect the most recent list of users in a cohort.
When you generate a one-time export or a dynamic sync, it overwrites the previous export with an updated export that reflects users who qualify for the cohort at the time of export.
Install the Mixpanel and Braze SDKs in order to build the integration.
Set Up the Braze Integration
Integrating Mixpanel and Braze requires obtaining the required credentials from Braze, and then configuring the integration from a Mixpanel project.
In order to set up the integration, you must use a Data Import Key and a Braze Instance URL to connect a Mixpanel instance with a Braze instance.
A Braze project stores the Data Import Key and Braze Instance URL. You can find these two values in the Braze 3rd Party Integration menu under the Mixpanel Import tab.
Set Up the Integration
Enter the Mixpanel project where the integration is to be performed, then:
1. Click Settings on the upper right corner of the page. Select "Integrations".
2. Select the Braze integration tab. Click Connect.
3. Enter the Data Import Key and Braze Instance URL.
4. Click Finish.
Export a Mixpanel Cohort To Braze
To export a Mixpanel cohort, you must create a cohort. To export a Mixpanel cohort to Braze:
1. Navigate to the Users dropdown. Select Cohorts.
2. Select the cohort to send to Braze. Select Export to Braze.
3. Select a One-time export or a Dynamic sync. Click Begin Sync.
Use the Mixpanel Cohort to Create a Segment in Braze
A new Braze segment can be built using a Mixpanel cohort after exporting a cohort from Mixpanel to Braze.
In order to build a Braze Segment after importing a cohort:
1. Select Segments tab under Engagement.
2. Click Create Segment.
3. After naming the Segment, click Select Filter from the dropdown.
4. Select "Mixpanel Cohorts".
5. Select the “includes” value from the dropdown. Click Search for a value from the dropdown.
6. The exported Mixpanel cohort isvisible in the dropdown. Select the cohort.
7. Click Save.
Matching Mixpanel and Braze Users
Users are matched in Mixpanel and Braze by the braze external id. This value must be a $braze_external_id People property in Mixpanel, and must be an external user id in Braze. These values must match.
The Mixpanel SDK automatically sets this property if the Braze SDK is in your application. If implementing Mixpanel and Braze at the same time, then there will be no additional work needed other than installing the Mixpanel SDK and the Braze SDK.
Users will not sync if the $braze_external_id property is not applied to Mixpanel People profiles for users that are to be exported to Braze.
Similarly, the users will not be imported into Braze from Mixpanel if the external user id is not assigned to users in Braze.