The Messaging and Mobile A/B testing features will be deprecated from the product on January 1st, 2022. Read more information on the Mixpanel blog.
You can connect Twilio to Mixpanel to engage with users by sending SMS messages.
Mixpanel will cover the costs of sending SMS messages for the first 1,000 SMS sent each month. Beyond 1,000 SMS/month limit, you can continue to send SMS messages by connecting your Twilio account to Mixpanel.
To connect Mixpanel and Twilio, you’ll need to purchase a phone number or short code from Twilio.
To send SMS messages using your Twilio account, you will need to input your Twilio Account SID, Auth Token, and Messaging Service SID to your Mixpanel project.
Twilio Account SID and Auth Token
- Sign in to your Twilio account. This will redirect to the Dashboard page. The project can be selected from the upper left dropdown. No changes must be made if the current project is the project intended to be connected with Mixpanel.
- From Dashboard, click Project Settings. The Account SID and Auth Token can be obtained from this menu. The Account SID starts with AC, and note that there are both live credentials and Test Credentials.
Messaging Service SID
To find your Messaging Service SID:
- From your Twilio account, click Programmable SMS on the left menu.
- Select Messaging Services from the resulting left menu.
- If you already have a Messaging Service, collect the Service SID of that service.
- If you don’t already have a Messaging Service, click Create a Messaging Service. Once created, collect the SID of that service.
Add Twilio Details to Mixpanel
To send SMS messages using your Twilio account, you will need to input your Twilio Account SID, Auth Token, and Messaging Service SID in your Mixpanel project:
- Open the Mixpanel project you want to connect with Twilio, click your name in the upper righthand corner, and select Project settings from the dropdown.
- Click Messages, and you’ll see a section called Twilio Information.
- Click CHANGE, and fill in your Twilio Account SID, Auth Token, and Messaging Service SID.
- Click Save changes. Mixpanel will validate these account details after you save them.
Customize Phone Number
Twilio receives your users’ phone numbers from Mixpanel and sends your messages to the numbers provided, regardless of what country those phone numbers are from.
If you choose to just connect your Twilio account, the first 1000 SMS messages will come from a Mixpanel number and be paid for by Mixpanel. Any messages over the first 1k come from a different number.
If you choose to customize phone number and exclusive is selected on your project, all your SMS messages come from the same number but Mixpanel does not cover the cost of the first 1k texts.
To send all of your SMS messages (including the first 1,000) through your Twilio account, email support and ask for 100% of SMS messages to be sent through Twilio.
Once this flag is enabled, you can customize the sending phone number and the unsubscribe options within Twilio's settings.
If a user replies with any Twilio supported opt-out keywords they will not receive future SMS messages.
However, they will still appear to be eligible for SMS targeting in Mixpanel and will not show as unsubscribed in your project. This is because Stop Filtering from Twilio will not sync back with Mixpanel.
Twilio does not automatically store opt-outs when customers use short codes for their SMS. They enable this feature for large enterprise customers on a case-by-case basis.