Mixpanel applies rate limits to API endpoints that return data. You can only run a certain number of queries during a given period of time, as highlighted here.
If you are looking to export any or all of your events or user profiles, we strongly recommend using the Data Pipelines Export product. This will allow you to export data periodically in a much more reliable manner than directly running queries on our APIs.
Mixpanel Report Limits
The JQL console, however, does have a 5 GB limit of data that can be processed in a single query, and a 2 GB max for the resulting data output.
Track and Engage Endpoints
There is no rate limit on events or user updates that are sent to https://api.mixpanel.com/track/ or https://api.mixpanel.com/engage/. Mixpanel ingests data sent to these endpoints, and calls made to these endpoints do not return data. Therefore, they do not have a rate limit.
API Export Endpoint Rate Limits
The export API endpoint rate limit rules per project are as follows:
- Raw Export API Rate Limit (https://data.mixpanel.com/api/2.0/export/) : A maximum of 3 queries per second and 60 queries per hour.
- Formatted API Rate Limit (https://mixpanel.com/api/2.0/): A maximum of 5 concurrent queries and 400 queries per hour.
- JQL API Rate Limit (https://mixpanel.com/api/2.0/jql): Queries to the JQL endpoint contribute to Formatted API rate limit and have their own individual limit as well. There is a maximum of 5 concurrent queries and of 60 queries per hour. There is also a 5 GB limit on data that can be processed in a single query, and a 2 GB limit on the resulting output data.
If you exceed the rate limit, a 429 error will be returned.
You can reduce rate limiting errors using one of the two approaches:
- Spread your queries out over a longer period of time.
- Consolidate multiple queries into a single query (for example, multiple queries filtering on a single property may be combined into a single segmentation query).